8 Celebrities Who Openly Bleached Their Skin. What A Shame.
Toning, brightening, lightening…These are all words referring to skin bleaching. Believe it or not, some people use chemical substances to lighten their skin tone. Uncomfortable with their appearance, they believe that the lighter their skin is, the more beautiful they are. This has become a growing phenomenon, and a big business for cosmetic companies in Africa. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), 77% of women in Nigeria use skin-lightening products. The statistics are as high as 59%in Togo, and 27% in Senegal.
Many seem to dismiss the fact that these products are very dangerous. Some consequences of skin bleaching include leukemia, liver cancers, kidney failures, as well as skin discoloration and scarring.
1. Ghanian model Mariam Abdul Rauf says she is comfortable bleaching her skin
2. Dancehall singer Vybz Kartel seems to have lost some color over time
3. Baseball retiree Samy Sosa said a facial cream bleached his skin
4. South African musician Mshoza wished for skin care products for her birthday
5. Nollywood actress Ini Edo joined the club not too long ago
6. Kenyan actress Vera Sikida supposedly spent $170 000 in skin bleaching products
7. Rapper Lil Kim did not only go under the knife, she bleached her skin too.
8. Former model Irene Major says she feels prettier lighter
If skin tone is a beauty criterion, how come Lupita Nyong’o was named “The Most Beautiful Woman” by People’s magazine in 2014?